28 January 2009

How long is a year . ?

So while I wait for music to download onto the pc, let me tell you about today's birthday boys and girl.

Edward Wright, son of Thomas & Rebecka (nee Langford) was born in 1695 in Stretham and died in April 1696. Now . . I think I've just noticed a glitch in my expensive genealogy database's thinking - because, although that period of time looks like 15 months, it's actually only three. This was the time of the old calendar which ran from late March - but the software which writes the reports has decided that Edward was 1 year old when he died. Hmmmmm, something to speak to the makers about, methinks.

Interesting fact - according to Wikipedia, a £2 fine was introduced in 1695 for swearing in England.

Moving on some 140 years, Elizabeth Young was born in 1834 in Chatteris, daughter of David & Jane (nee Bigley) and, sadly, she too only lived a short while, dying the following year. Sidetracking slightly, the Bigley line (on my maternal side) is really rather short and problematical. I think that John, my g-g-g-grandfather was born around 1776; I know that he married Mary Smith in 1807 in Great Yarmouth and I know that he died in 1860 in Chatteris. However, I don't know where he was born and, just to complicate matters, he was a soldier when he got married. This makes it likely that he was somewhat peripatetic and there were no national registers at this time; soooo, you'll understand when I say that this slows down the research slightly. What is known in the trade as a "brick wall".

And finally, introducing Arthur James Staden of this parish. As he lived in the 20th century, I will not be quite as free with info as I have been previously. Suffice to say that he was born on this day, son of Alfred & Catherine (nee Derby) and he died in 1997. His sister Iris was born yesterday, but I ran out of space to mention her - so I do so now; another with a sadly-short life, she died at the age of three (I checked the calculation) and was buried at St Edward in Cambridge.

The weather? It's been raining most of the day.

No comments: