16 May 2009

One of each

So, let's start with a birthday boy:- John William Burrows (my 3rd cousin once removed) was born today in1885 in the Cambridgeshire village of Manea, the son of William & Jane (nee Crouch).  By 1901 he had become a signalman on the Great Eastern Railway (G.E.R.) - not very surprising given the proximity to the railway depot of March.  John was still in the village in 1911 and I think he married Nellie Amelia Topping in 1913.  And that's all I know about them.

So, let's move on to the marriage of Richard Culpin & Elizabeth Taylor in Woodnewton, Northants, in 1743.  Elizabeth was Richard's second wife and sadly died in September the following year, soon after giving birth to their son Charles.  Richard himself plainly married again as he leaves "All and singular the residue of my goods, Cattle and Chattel, I give and bequeath unto my said wife Rachel Culpin" in his Will.  I have Rachel Landen as her maiden name but I haven't been able to find the marriage yet . . . but give it time!

All for now, as I have a load of "treasure" (well, old photos and documents) to scan in and add to the archive.

More soon.

No comments: