8 June 2009

1871 and all that

Nothing for today, so let's go back to yesterday . . . . .

Charles Blaydon (2nd cousin 5 times removed) & Eliza Howe were married in Herringswell, Suffolk, in 1860. Together they produced seven children but I can't seem to find any of their offspring beyond the 1871 census; Chas & Eliza went from Herringswell, to Barrow, Debach and then Ipswich but, of their children, I know nothing. I'd like to think that this is because of the various spelling possibilities of their surname, rather than sheer idleness . . . .

Moving on to one of yesterday's birthday boys - George Fordham, my 1st cousin 4 times removed, who was born in 1866 in Hemingford Grey and, unlike the siblings above, I don't have him in the 1871 census. His only appearance, other than his christening, is in the 1881 census as a fourteen year old printer compositor. More research there too . . . .

And finally, meet John Sutton who was born in St Ives, Huntingdonshire, in 1807, the son of Joseph & Catherine (nee Watts, who went on to marry Charles Culpin & become my 4xgreat-grandmother). John became a vet and moved out to Sawtry with his wife Anna and their nine children. The 1871 census, in John's case, is where I last saw him (or any of his family) so maybe I was researching all today's ancestors at the same time!!!

Plainly I need to work on them so . . . .

More soon.

No comments: