1 November 2009

Sisters . . . .

So, another new month and some more anniversaries. Today in Biggleswade in 1772 Ann Pates, my g-g-g-g-g-aunt (that's five greats) married William Sexton. And . . . . that's about it. William appears to have died two years later and Ann in 1786. Not much there to get my teeth into.

Moving on, Emily Langford married John Henry Bairstow today in 1876 at St Mary's, Ely. Two children were begat before Emily died at the age of 32. However, as seems to keep happening in my family, there was someone to take her place - the year after her death, her sister Rebecca married John in Hull. It's head-count time again! John & Rebecca went on to have five children before John's death in 1901.

Rebecca then seems to take over the business - she's listed as butcher in both the 1901 and 1911 census, as are her nephews John & William (Emily's sons). Interestingly, the 1911 census form was completed by John, rather than Rebecca . . . . well, I think the head of the household should fill it in . . . . although I suppose it's possible that Rebecca couldn't write but she was a farmer's daughter and I'd have thought he'd make sure she could read and write.

But then, what do I know?

More soon.

No comments: