25 November 2009

Young Tom

A brief entry today . . . . who said "hooray"?

Tom Culpin, my great-great-uncle was born in 1879 in St Ives, the fifth son (& eighth child) of Millice Campbell & Naomi (nee Fordham) and lived with the family in The Quadrant in the town until his premature, and so far unexplained (to me) death at the age of 17 years.

He's buried, together with his brother Arthur, in Broadleas Cemetery, with the following headstone: "In loving memory of Tom, the son of Millice & Naomi Culpin, who entered into rest December 13 1896 aged 17 years. Also Arthur Culpin who entered into rest January 20 1903 aged 39 years".

So, what have we learned from this? Well, not much, obviously, except that I really ought to get hold of Tom's death certificate to work out why he died so young. I think I've looked in the Hunts Post to see if there was anything in there but I'm not sure; so may be worth my while having a look there first, in case I can save some money!

More soon.

No comments: